Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 2

Layla has done so well today!  Although it has become apparent that she does not prefer to be left behind a puppy gate.  Let me explain...

After I finished posting my blog last night, I went to go calm the girls down and ready them for bed.  Layla went into the kitchen and into her cave.  She was content and gnawing on a chewie as I turned a few lights out and headed for the living room.  I put the puppy gate up behind me in the doorway between the kitchen and the living room securing Layla in the same area she had been secured the night before.  (Since we are still learning her potty schedule and her personality traits, we wanted to make sure she was kept somewhere that was completely puppy-safe for the first few nights, both for her safety and our peace of mind.)  I bid Layla goodnight and was off to bed.  Closing the bedroom door behind me, I crawled into bed anticipating being able to quickly doze off.  Not long after, I heard a crash come from the kitchen.  As I sprang to my feet and opened the bedroom door, I was greeted by little Layla standing in our doorway.  She trotted into the bedroom, tail held high, and looked at me as if to say, "No.  I shall sleep here."  Looking very proud of herself, she curled into a ball on the carpet and stared up at me, wagging her tail.  How could I resist that?!  So I took off to the kitchen to see what caused the crashing sounds.  I found the puppy gate lying on the floor.  The little stinker figured out how to knock it down!  Nothing was broken, no one was hurt and it seemed as though everyone was finally ready for bed.  Layla selected her perfect sleeping spot. With everyone else in their respective bedtime spots - Gabriel on the floor next to my side of the bed, Shep on the floor next to Kevin's side of the bed, Layla on the floor at the foot of the bed and Abigail between my feet on the bed - we snuggled in for the night.

This morning I awoke to the sounds of a puppy wrestling match.  As I fumbled for my glasses and was finally able to focus on the commotion, I saw Abby, Shep and Layla all rolled together in a big ball of fur and pointy ears and wagging tails.  Gabriel doesn't do mornings (just like his mommy) and never budged - he was all but rolling his eyes while attempting to steal a few more minutes of sleep.  I got up, took everyone outside (except Gabe since it would've taken me literally carrying him and there was no way I was coordinated enough to lug a 60 pound dog outside this early in the morning) and supervised the first outside visit of the day.  All went well, everyone took care of business and they were quickly ready to go back inside.  Then it was back to bed for Mommy Kate (as I'm lovingly referred to around my household) with three tails following close behind.

Later in the day, Kevin, Connor and I had to leave for just a little while.  So, once again, we got Layla all settled in her cave and put the puppy gate up.  When we returned home, Layla was laying in the living room next to the fireplace.  The puppy gate was down again, but this time it looked as if it had been taken down instead of knocked down.  It literally looked as if Layla had unhooked the latch of the gate and let herself out.  I wouldn't be surprised if she did - she's obviously super stinking smart!  Thus, we have come to the conclusion that Layla is not a fan of the puppy gates. :o)

The rest of the day proved to be pretty uneventful as far as doggie headlines go, but I do have to mention that Layla has become more and more playful with each passing minute.  So far she has displayed the personality of a young puppy wanting nothing more than to romp and play with her litter mates as much as possible.  She is quickly adopting my three dogs as her brothers and sister - I even caught her giving puppy kisses to Shep and Abby.  I even got a Layla kiss today!  I guess that was my reward for taking the hint about the puppy gates. :o)

Currently we are all back in our respective bedtime spots and I seem to be the only one left awake.  I guess I will sign off now and head for dreamland...that is, IF I can figure out how to fall asleep amidst all this snoring going on around me.  All the boys are sawing logs over here - Kevin, Gabe and Shep.  Luckily my girls, Abby and Layla, are displaying quite the ladylike sleeping habits.  Sweet dreams, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment